Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Bowling

It's going to sound like I'm bragging but I'm not. I just have to preface this post with a little information that most of you know, but some of you don't.
I have played tennis my whole life. I started when I was in the single digits and began playing tournaments when I was around 10-11. I moved up in the ranks when I was around 13-14. I played tournaments about twice a month, took lessons 2-3 times a week. Played super-champ tournaments in 14's, 16's and 18's. I got a scholarship to play tennis at ACU but then was totally burned out and injured and I quit.

So what?

Last week I had a student in my room for detention and he was telling me that he was in the PE tennis class and asked why I didn't coach the competitive team anymore. I told him it was because I was in grad school and needed to have more time to devote to that. He then replied "Oh, I can't really see you as a coach anyway." So I said "Well, I've played tennis for a long time so I guess I know a thing or two about it." He then said "I just can't really see you running around much. I can't picture you on the court hitting a ball." To which I wanted to reply "Wanna go right now? I will school you!" But I didn't. I just said "Really?" He said "Yeah. You don't look like a tennis player. I think you look more like a bowler."

A bowler...who looks like a bowler? Now, this did come from an 8th grader so I took it with a grain of salt but really? A bowler? Who says that? If you aren't a teacher or you have never taught in middle school then you might not realize that these kids don't have very good social skills and they will be brutally honest with you about pretty much everything.

Like my first year of teaching when the kids asked me how old I was and I told them to guess. Never do that. You don't want to know what they think.

So I could take this one of two ways. Either be bitter and try to prove my tennis skills or embrace my bowler appearance and hit the lanes to brush up on my curve ball. Is that what you call it? You know, when you throw the ball down the lane thingy and it goes straight for awhile and then curves and smacks all the pins down. Yeah, I think this is going to be good.

7 comments:

heatherw said...

I would have wanted to show him what's up, 8th grader or not. Not in a mean way but in a I've still got it way. YOu could totally go the bowler route, you could quit the tennis league and bowl. WOuld you be a 4.0 in bowling?

Anonymous said...

Someone once said that the true value of any sport was in inverse proportion to the number of that sports participants who smoke. This analysis certainly casts a bad light on "sports" such as bowling and golf. These two sports have a lot of smokers who participate. Actually, one could smoke while participating in either.
Tennis and running rise toward the top here. Besides, you would have to:
1) buy one of those hokey shirts
2) wear funky shoes
3) develop a pasty, white complexion
On the other hand, if you became an accomplished bowler, you could try to get a bit part in "Big Lebowski II."

robin said...

Wow! A bowler huh. You should take your bowling ball to school so he can shine it up for you!

Anonymous said...

That is the funniest story I've heard in a long time. A bowler. Hmmm, he sees something that I don't see.

Anonymous said...

I totally see you as a bowler! Cigerette in one hand, beer in the other, wearing a cool button up gas station looking shirt with mere were written on the top right corner. Spending every Thursday night at the lanes for league night. Yeah, I can see it!!

Shauna said...

Miss you Mere...post please.

Shauna said...

I dont know why I keep looking at your stupid blog - I know that you arent going to post on it! I will give you 2 more days and then I am not checking it for a week! How do you like that!!?????!?!?