Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, August 23, 2008

What was I doing...

8 months ago??

5:15 AM
Woke up because my back was killing me.

5:30
Couldn't go back to sleep so I took a long hot shower.

5:45
Starving. So I ate some waffles and watched a little tv.

6:00
I decided that maybe this was more than just back pain so maybe I should start timing these back contractions.

6:15
Woke Ryan up to tell him that the back "labor" was happening every 5 minutes so we should probably get a bag packed.

6:45
In the car on the way to the hospital. There was a beautiful full moon! Ryan was much more calm about the situation than I thought he would be. We laughed between contractions and there were several since the hospital was about 20 minutes away.

7:00
Getting close to the hospital and at this point I am doubting that this is actually labor. The contractions aren't hurting very bad and I'm super excited so...this probably isn't it.

7:10
Pulling into the parking lot Ryan and I realize we don't really know where to go since we did not attend the baby class. I decide we should go to the ER but Ryan sees a sign that says "Deliveries" and he thinks we should follow the sign. I am almost laughing too hard to tell him that I think the sign means deliveries to the hospital not baby deliveries.

7:11
As I am getting out of the car a red sports car zooms by and stops in the first parking spot. And my doctor hops out! He sees me and asks what I am doing there. For being a doctor this guy might not be real observant...I told him I was having contractions so I thought I better check it out.


7:30
I get wheeled to a room and checked by the nurse and I am at a 3. She laughs and says that my doctor told them I was down there but that he doubted I would be ready because I was laughing so much.


8:30
My doctor comes and tells me that we are officially having our baby today!! He breaks my water and tells me that I can have my epidural in about an hour.

9:30
Epidural time!! Or so I thought. The contractions are still pretty mild at this point. I am having to breath through them but things are still going great!


9:45
They come in to tell me that the anesthesiologist is assisting in a c-section so it will be awhile. They give me some demarol (sp?) and phenagrin (sp?) for the pain.


10:00
I get a contraction that just about sends me over the back of the bed. From this time on, all contractions could have me climbing the wall and I am only at a five. It is at this point that I think that all people who deliver naturally are completely insane and must be superwoman (no offense, just a personal opinion!). Ryan also tries to do a little recording and quickly realizes that is not the best decision.

10:30
I tell my nurse (and I have already told Ryan several times) that the medicine is not working AT ALL.

11:00
The nurse comes in and says the c-section is over!! So she needs to flush my IV before he comes to give me my epidural. Yippee!


11:00 and 30 seconds
Conversation between me and the nurse:

Me: Wow, did you just put more medicine in my IV?
Nurse: No just saline.
Me: (slurring slightly) Are you sure?
Nurse: Yes, it's just saline.
Me: (Right eye roaming the room, left eye barely open, still slurring) I don't believe you.
Nurse: Hmmm, it seems that maybe all that medicine we gave you before was stuck in your IV and when I flushed it you finally got the dose.
Me: Sounds really good to me.......(eyes closing.....)

11:15 (or so I am told)
The anesthesiologist comes to give me my epidural. The nurse has me lean against her. I am pretty sure that if she would have moved I would have fallen flat on my face on the floor. I don't remember much about this process. Because of my scoliosis it took him about seven tries to get the needle in the right spot but I never felt a thing. At one point, I said "Okay, I am going to try really hard this time."
No clue what time any of this happened:
I slept off an on until about 3:30. During this time my family came in to see me several times, Ryan ran to get him some lunch, I made several drug induced comments such as "That guy's throwing peanuts right at me." and "Lola (our dog) loves cat food. She is eating it right now.", and I got some really good rest.


4:00
They told me I was going to start pushing. So I had to get off the phone.


4:30
Because of the AWESOME epidural I can't really feel ANYTHING so I am having to pretend a lot while I am pushing. As I am pushing I am trying to remember what women look like on tv when they are having a baby and I am trying to look like that because I am afraid that if they realize how strong my epidural is that they will take it away.

4:45
Ryan and the nurse are encouraging me and telling me how great I am doing. I tell them that if I was really doing great then I would already have had the baby.

5:10
My doctor comes in. Uses the salad tongs, twist her head a little and in about three more pushes...

5:12
Blake is here!!!

5:15
My doctor begins the task of sewing 712 stitches. Okay, not really 712 but for those of you who speak "baby" I had a fourth degree tear. Yikes! That doesn't sound good even if you don't speak baby.


5:20
Blake is all cleaned up and we are holding her for the first time. I can't believe how beautiful she is!! And I can't believe she has hair...and that it's dark! We love her instantly!!!


11 comments:

Joni said...

Friend you forgot the most important detail... calling me from the bed, waiting for the dr. so you could push, then calling right after to tell me that there was a baby that was laying over there and she was yours and wondering who she was:) Thanks for making me a part even though I couldn't be with you! Love you and B!

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Awesome story as are all birth stories. Hopefully softball will start up again soon so we can catch up. Funny, I thought the same thing about acting like I was pushing and hoping I would do a good job so they wouldn't dial down my epidural. I couldn't feel a thing!Those things are amazing!

Anonymous said...

The miracle of birth is a wonderful thing!

Tricia said...

Love the bit by bit details. Isn't crazy that she is already 8 months? It goes by so fast, it makes me sad! It is hard to remember what it was like before they were in our lives.
That was cheesy but true. I love you and I hope you are enjoying being back at school.

robin said...

I am laughing so hard i have tears!!!! I remember my D-Day. and the part about being afraid they would take your epidural away if they REALLY knew how strong it was....YES that was a DEFINITE fear!

...712...right there with ya!

have a good first day of school!

heatherw said...

That was the day 8 months ago that I made the Olymic team in Driving from Jasper to Fort Worth really fast so I could be there in time, I totally won GOLD!

annalee said...

i love that story! obviously my most favorite part is that at the end you had blake. but my other 2 faves are that you tried to picture what people in labor on tv looked like so they wouldn't take away your epidural! good thinking! and that ryan wanted to follow the "deliveries" sign.

Leslie said...

Ok I am laughing so hard! I remember not being able to stay awake either and being so thankful for that epidural and not wanting it to go away either. I think I faked it so much they gave me a second one!!

Love the part about the random speech. People throwing peanuts at you. Crazy! LOL

The Blakes said...

I LOVE your story! Your baby is precious. You guys look great! I hope you had a good first day of school!

Kristen said...

Love your story!

EDS said...

Sweet post...glad to know a little more about your sweet girl.