Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bad Mom of the Day

First of all, I am a blogging maniac. This is my second post within 24 hours. Lookout!

Today I am playing stay at home mommy. I love to skip work for this! We started off the day with homemade french toast and then played while Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was on (I am in the habit of turning on cartoons in the morning. She does not watch them AT ALL. She loves the songs just not the cartoon. But secretly I love them!)

Then we got dressed and headed off to Target. I need a black shelf to put on the wall in Blake's room. Right when I got the cart she started moving her legs around like a martial artist so that I couldn't get them in the leg holes on the kid seat. So, I put her in the basket part. I do this all the time. She sits in there and looks around and sometimes stands but I go very slow. Yeah, I know. I am breaking the rules on the flippy down seat thing. It definitely has an X through a picture of a kid standing in the basket. AND NOW WE KNOW WHY...

I was in the book section looking at some books for Ryan and she stood up. The next thing I know she is reaching for something, puts her foot up on the side of the basket (she is climbing on everything lately) and FLIPS OUT OF THE BASKET!!!!! I had enough time to grab the back of her sweatshirt to break the fall a little but she flipped completely over and landed on her back. Somehow, she did not hit her head. I freaked! I picked her up and then immediately looked around to see who saw! Luckily, no one. I felt bad enough, I did not need anyone around to see what happended and freak out with me. She cried for about 30 seconds really hard until I found the pacifier in my bag and she stopped. I checked for bumps and bruises and amazingly there were none. I was sweating profusely.

We ended up leaving without a shelf but managed to find several "I'm sorry I put you in the basket and let you flip out on your back" purchases including: some sidewalk chalk, bubbles, a new stroller for her baby (the last one broke because she sat in it all the time) and some easter eggs.

12 comments:

suetmom said...

There was a time when a very curly haired little girl was standing in the forbidden zone of the grocery cart. Her mom turned her back and she reached over, got a jar of mustard and promptly dropped it beside her mom's foot. Mustard was everywhere including her mom! Then the grocery store cleaner-upper had to be found, but only after said curly-headed child was back in her correct seat...... silly rules....

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Oh Meredith! I know how freaked out you were. Just last week I was holding Carson and Kate was sitting calmly beside me. Next thing I know she does a perfect forward roll off the couch. I was sitting right next to her! Let me tell you I felt like a first calss Mom. Glad she is ok. Love the "sorry" purchases. Love your honesty!

Anonymous said...

I've always found that going to the park is much safer than going to Target.

kristin fulghum said...

oh no. that is funny. glad she is okay and very glad you got to be a stay at home mom for a day.

Tricia said...

Poor Blake! Did you read my blog today? I had to take Micah to the ER...guess it is just a bad mommy day all around! And I love your mom's story about you!!! I can see you doing that!
I miss you friend!!!

annalee said...

aye, aye, aye! blake is the cutest monkey around! so glad she is okay and you girls had a fun day together. i loved reading about it.
ps- yes, adelaide's main (as in only) mode of transportation is that scoot.

Randi Freeby said...

Since I know she is ok, I laughed and laughed at this one. Thank you for sharing. It is humbling to be reminded of how we are all human. You are a great mom with a funny story.

heatherw said...

If Jonathan had a blog he would tell a story about how Wednesday night a boy woke up got a drink of water and choked a little and then proceeded to throw up everywhere. Knowing bowen's history Jonathan was just mad at him for middle of the night barfing. Then he threw up at school the next day and had the runs....Jonathan felt really bad

Virginia/G.G. said...

Oh Mere I'm so sorry to read about Blake's fall in Target! I know you must have been scared to death. I think God makes babies bones soft for a reason and this may have been one of those reasons. It sounds like you handled it like a champ and the sidewalk chalk and bubbles sounds like it probably did the trick. My suggestion to you would be to put her back in the saddle again as soon as possible (of course after you have promised her that if she sits down in the basket she can go outside when you get home before going in) and talk to her before you put her in the seat part of the basket and remind her of her fall...remember she is the genius child after all and understands everything we say. If she doesn't do what you say, maybe a swat on the leg would help...but have the pacifier handy just in case someone thinks you've just performed child abuse to calm her woes. If that doesn't work, head toward the door and tell her she can't go outside if she doesn't sit down and then ask her again. You never know she might just take the bait.

robin said...

I ALWAYS remember something your mom told me when Ree was little "It's a good thing babies bounce!"....and somehow they do! otherwise we'd be reported to CPS! LOL!

Lissa Michelle said...

Look at you, you crazy blogger!

Hey, if you only KNEW how many times my kids have fallen and it was MY FAULT, you would so feel good about yourself right now.

You're an awesome mom, Meredith. Blake is getting so big it is unreal. Hope all is well. Glad you finally updated- twice.

Joni said...

Hey friend! I thought I would just come over to your blog and say Hi! I might even pick up the phone to say it, but I'm too tired so I'll call you later:) Congrats on not injuring B too badly!!