Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thank you Julie Clark...


There are many people out there who think that shows like Baby Einstein are just babysitters for your kids so that you don't have to play with them. I say... Dang right! It's not that I don't want to play with Blake every minute when I come home...it's just that there are certain things around the house that need to get done. When she was an infant I could carry her around in the sling and do things. But now she wants to wiggle around and play so I hate to constrict her in the carrier. Plus there is a real danger of dropping her on her head into the dishwasher when I am unloading it. So, thank you Julie Clark...your concept was so simple and yet so amazing. Blake loves it! (Writer's note: Baby Einstein movies only last about 20 minutes...it's not like she is sitting there for 2 hours...it is a nice thought though.)

Here she is after she watches a few episodes:


This entry actually needs two titles: So here is title #2 (ha...that just made me laugh)


BLAKE ALWAYS GETS CALLED A BOY BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T HAVE MUCH HAIR AND I DON'T MAKE HER WEAR A BOW ALL THE TIME BUT MAYBE I SHOULD BECAUSE I AM SICK OF IT...

Wow. Actually the title pretty much says it all. And to all of you people out there who have "baby" looking babies that if dressed in the opposite gender's clothing pass for that gender, do you get pissed when people assume your kid is the opposite sex? At first I just ignored it. But we were at the Abilene mall on Saturday and FOUR people came up and asked things like "ohhh, how old is he?" "He is so cute, what did you name him?" That question can be awkward anyway since I can't say something like "Mary" and then they automatically know they made a mistake. I have to say "Her name is Blake" and then they maybe think that they didn't hear me right so they look even more confused.

But my suggestion for everyone who has run into the situation of not knowing the babies gender try this: FIRST-take in all the context clues. If the baby is wearing PINK (or a pink and black zebra outfit) then it's probably a girl. Or if the baby is covered in a PINK blanket then it is probably a girl. If you take in all the visual information and you still can't tell...DON'T GUESS! Because if you are wrong then eventually you will probably get corrected and you will feel like an idiot and in the meantime the mom is trying to decide if you are worth correcting and if you are then how they are going to go about doing it. But...that's just my opinion.
Family portrait on Mother's day. I love how you can see my aunt Linda in the reflection trying to get Blake to smile.

10 comments:

Mere Ware said...

That picture of us is huge...

tara said...

Ok - we go through the same thing and Scout is almost 2!! This weekend he had one blue shortalls, sandals and a lady asked what is her name! Are you kidding me, come on!

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Great Picture. Wish we could get Kate to smile like that. But when we pull the camera out she immediately goes stone face. We were at an oil change place last week Kate was wearing all blue and the lady says he is so cute! I was going to give her the benefit of the doubt until I saw the huge PINK blanket covering her car seat! Like you always say CONTEXT CLUES!!!

Melissa said...

Great picture, Mere!

Anonymous said...

People just don't get it. Sometimes it is fun to play with them - something like "His name is Mary" - just to see their reaction.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little weirded out by the new background. But, as Julie Clark always says, "Enjoy the show."

Shauna said...

I love that picture! You guys are so beautiful! Love you friend.

robin said...

yeah, the boy thing finally just eats away at you!

There are times that TV IS ok for small children. Reegan is into 'pack pack' aka: dora. It's a 30 min show and i run like hell when its on to get my stuff done so i can play with her when its over!

robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

Seriously people, get a clue!! Today Annalee had on a huge lime green bow, a shirt with her name on it!!! and some shorts and someone said "oh, what is HE playing with?" Come on, do you really expect a 1 year old to have long hair or a pony tail to differentiate their gender??? (excluding Eva Carder!) They can't help it that they're half bald!