Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Donkey Basketball



Last night I played in a donkey basketball game. If you have never played donkey basketball...let me give you a few of the rules:

1. You don't have to dribble the ball...thankfully.

2. You must hold on to your donkey at all times. If you let go and you have the ball then possession goes to the other team.

3. When you are passing the ball one person (either the passer or the person receiving the pass) must be on their donkey.

4. You must be on your donkey to score.


You should also know that these donkeys are crazy. Some don't move at all. Other buck you off as soon as you try to get on them. And a few will run like crazy when you put any weight on their back at all.


I played last year too. The circumstances of my two years of donkey basketball were completely different. Last year I was training for a half marathon. This year I had just had a baby. Oh, and I have walked with her three times now and done my work out tape 5 times. So, my endurance level changed a little from the first year to the second. Luckily, I only played one quarter, which I think lasted 8 minutes. Unluckily (is that a word?) my donkey would not move. I tried everything. Here are a few pictures to show my battle:
Preparing for the game. Somehow I ended up with the hugest egg helmet. Everyone else had cool riding helmets (well, as cool as helmets can be.) So I am easy to spot in all of the pictures.

Pulling the donkey. And being slightly successful. I think we made it up and down the court once during the eight minutes.Trying to bribe my donkey with an apple. I don't know where the apple came from but he seemed to enjoy it.

The apple, however, did not work.

Even though my donkey sucked my team won! Another successful donkey basketball game in the books.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!!! Congrats on the win! It was great to see you and Blake yesterday. Alex can't wait for our next double date!
Mary Catherine

Leslie said...

I love donkey basketball! We did it when I taught in Jefferson. It is hilarious!

Cara said...

Oh my word that is hilarious! I have never heard of donkey basketball before. I can only assume it was for school.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of donkey basketball either. Funny pictures!

robin said...

LOL! How much fun! :)

Lori said...

What the crap? That is so random...love it! Where in the world do you get that many donkeys in the metroplex???

angela said...

I have never heard or seen anything like this in my life. ...Ware in the world do they play this sport???

Unknown said...

I played donkey b-ball in highschool. My donkey was a freak. Also, my helmet looked almost as amazing as your helmet...I am going to hunt down those pics so that we can compare.

Shauna said...

You are a freak.

Sara S. said...

I love the egg helmet! You know you where that when you aren't playing donkey basketball. Don't be embarrassed.

Amanda said...

That's freakin' hilarious! I would love to play that sport!

Jennifer said...

freakin' awesome. I've never heard of such a thing!! How do you set something like this up??

Anonymous said...

mere, I just wanted you to know that it is my spring break this next week and I am sad that you are not here!! I am blaming Blake!! :)
Joni

karson said...

Wow! That is amazing! I am so glad I got to meet you through Bible study. I will have to check back on your blog to see what you and Blake are up to :). By the way, that picture of Blake on your header is probably one of the cutest things I've ever seen!

Natalie said...

Hey Meredith! I found your blog through someone-Sara Butler maybe?? You have me cracking up! Congratulations on your sweet little girl-she is adorable!

Natalie (Brown)

Kristen said...

Will miss you in class. Praying for you this week and next that your transition goes smoothly :)

Anonymous said...

This is disturbing... poor donkey probably didn't appreciate you dragging him across the court or throwing 120+ lbs on his back. Maybe consider a more humane sport next time.

Anonymous said...

Hey, anonymous! Shut up!

Anonymous said...

Hi my loved one! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice written and
include almost all important infos. I would like to peer extra posts like this
.

Here is my website :: how to dunk