Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I've got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight...

Back to school! Not a bad day if I do say so myself. I had a good lesson planned and we are on my favorite topic- genetics! I am a little worried, however, about the mention of sex in my classes. When you talk about sex in middle school it usually works like this: 7th graders crack up and make lots of sex jokes and 8th graders usually just blush and stare wondering if I really just said the "s" word. But not today. I wasn't even talking about having sex. I just said "sex-linked trait" and they all about wet their pants. Some of them were blushing, others were laughing but most were just giggling nervously. They are so funny!

I have had a few funny sex stories since I have been teaching. Last year a boy was reading and instead of saying organism he said...well, you know. He looked up at me with wide eyes and said "I just said the wrong word didn't I?" And we all got a good laugh. Or this year when boy in my class wanted to name our turtle "testes." Pronounced by him "tes-tes" (no long e.) I have been trying to remember funny stories from when I was in school but can't think of many. In 7th grade Sarah S. asked our teacher what were minnow pods. We later found out that she really meant menopause. Any funny stories out there? I would love to hear them!

By the way, thanks to all of you that leave comments on my blog. I love to read them and I have started commenting back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok here's my fave:
We were playing a beanbag game in Kindergarden PE one day and as usual I had a little boy come uo to me crying. I asked him what was wrong and he said the girls on his team told him they liked his boobs. Uhhhh...Boobs? I said, they said they liked your BOOBS? So being the meanie that I am I stormed over to the 5 year old suspects and asked in a scary and accusing voice "Did you girls says that you liked his boobs?" Two sweet innocent faces looked up and said...we just told him we liked his BOOTS. I don't even know if knew to feel stupid, but I sure did!
Heather

Shauna said...

I am going to have to think about some good stories- I am glad you are back to your blogging!